uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barnes Meadow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 15/09/05, 09:29    Post subject: Barnes Meadow Reply with quote

The parish council reported at their September meeting that in a letter received from John Steven he announced that a start on phase 3 of Barnes Measow is imminent with a finish before Christmas. Wink

This has come as a complete surprise to everyone for the last we heard on this was that the district council had insisted that an investigation was first made into site stability and soil levels, before the latest planning application for the final phase could be considered. The parish council has no knowledge that the survey has been carried out and surely they should be in the loop of those to be contacted with the survey's findings. Or is Mr Steven doing what he threatened? To "revert to the even worse previous" house types. Surprised

Mr Steven also said that the fronting wall would also be finished! Rolling Eyes
Rhodie

PostPosted: 15/09/05, 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a history of the development at Barnes Meadow go to:

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rhg/parish/barnesmeadowhistory.html

Last edited by Rhodie on 07/08/07, 06:48; edited 1 time in total
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 16/09/05, 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

G.
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 16/09/05, 12:02    Post subject: Re: Barnes Meadow Reply with quote

Rhodie wrote:

Mr Steven also said that the fronting wall would also be finished! Rolling Eyes

That desperately needs doing. I wish they would get on with it. What a mess right in the middle of the village. Sad
Rhodie

PostPosted: 16/09/05, 20:53    Post subject: Re: Barnes Meadow Reply with quote

I wrote:
.. with a finish before Christmas. Wink

I thought that building at that rate would break all records.

I have since checked, with a councillor, if I had heard this correctly. He assures me that I had and was surprised himself. I have since heard from a resident of Barnes Meadow, who apparently received the same letter. What the letter actually said was that the ground work and piling would be finished by Christmas.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 20/09/05, 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

A start on the wall was attempted, was it last year?
Unfortunately the workmanship was atrocious for I heard that the “craftsman” were unemployed school leavers with no previous experience of masonry work.

I believe that the developer, John Steven, stated that he could neither get the labour nor the “chert” stone. Then perhaps he should now look no further afield than the mason who built the recently erected wall opposite the Black Dog. In the glossy literature that the developer circulated around the village, before planning permission was obtained, he praised himself on his company’s attention to detail. Then his development cries out for a wall of the quality to be seen opposite the Black Dog.
geoff

PostPosted: 21/09/05, 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope that after we go live on 1/10/05, a representative of the developer's company might join the 'Uplyme Debate' and be able to answer that one for us.

I can't believe there is a shortage of chert stone.

G
geoff

PostPosted: 08/10/05, 10:35    Post subject: Phase three Reply with quote

Does anyone know how many dwellings are being provided by phase three ?
Is there a website giving info on the project from the developers ?
Rhodie

PostPosted: 10/10/05, 20:29    Post subject: Re: Phase three Reply with quote

geoff wrote:
Does anyone know how many dwellings are being provided by phase three ?

Yes fourteen. They being plots no. 10,11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25 and 26. A planning application was registered with EDDC on 6th December 2004 Ref: 04/3197/MFUL. More details can be found at:
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rhg/parish/barnesmeadowphase3.html#dec04

geoff wrote:
Is there a website giving info on the project from the developers ?

Not that I am aware

Last edited by Rhodie on 07/08/07, 06:50; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy

PostPosted: 10/10/05, 21:15    Post subject: Barnes Meadow Reply with quote

You are right, Rhodie, although the latest information coming from the developer is that Phase three will itself be in three phases — they say they are planning to build just four houses to start with, at the bottom of the site, with another 10 in two stages at some indeterminate time in the future.

However, I have spoken by phone with the company who we have been told are about to start piling work for the first four houses, and they say they have yet to sign a contract with the developer (as of today, Monday) so I wouldn't hold your breath about any of it.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 17/03/06, 08:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
A start on the wall was attempted, was it last year?......
John Steven, stated that he could neither get the labour nor the “chert” stone. ....... his development cries out for a wall of the quality to be seen opposite the Black Dog.

“On being asked about the completion of 'the wall' Mr Steven said that it is now part of the contract of the builders who will be building phase 3. He said part of the delay is the result of the council insisting that the wall be faced with chert rather than pre-constructed blocks. He had also said that a wall faced with stone will be in danger of water ingress with possible damage resulting from its freezing! (If the wall is in danger it could be because the inner and outer skin of the wall, so far completed, was not tied together when his untrained gang attempted finishing the wall exactly two years ago. It is understood that Mr Steven approached the mason who had built the excellent chert wall opposite the Black Dog, with the intention of employing him on the wall, but he would not agree to the craftman's conditions, for which you can read price)”

Taken from:

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rhg/parish/barnesmeadowphase3.html#tarms

Last edited by Rhodie on 07/08/07, 06:51; edited 1 time in total
Rhodie

PostPosted: 11/05/06, 05:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Barnes Meadow saga continues. Chairman of the parish council, Beryl Denham, reported to last night’s council meeting that she had earlier that evening attended a meeting where the Barnes Meadow developer John Steven had met BM residents and herself. To put it mildly she was furious about Mr Steven.

See report at:
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rhg/parish/barnesmeadowphase3.html#ram

Last edited by Rhodie on 07/08/07, 06:51; edited 1 time in total
Rhodie

PostPosted: 05/06/06, 07:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ‘Wall’ will be finished and to a very high standard if the example piece at the far northern end is anything to go by.

This present team of three really mean business for they have removed all the stone (chert, flint knapped, un-knapped or whatever) that was laid by the previous amateurish attempt and are making a fresh start. It did not take much removing which makes you wonder what mortar they had used.

Unfortunately the parish council are not completely happy about the demonstration example for they say it is in the wrong stone. They want the wall to be of the same material as that to be used on the other side of the road - which still awaits the outcome of an enforcement notice. This strikes me as a bit of nit picking when most people don’t know or can’t identify the difference between these stones. One consolation is that the council has agreed to leave the demonstration section in place Rolling Eyes
geoff

PostPosted: 05/06/06, 07:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness that something is being done about it at alst. What an eyesore.

G.
martinquart

PostPosted: 12/11/15, 10:39    Post subject: Barnes Meadow / John Stevens Reply with quote

Good Morning
I am hoping someone may be able to help. I am looking for some information regarding John Stevens , his company was involved in the development at Barnes Meadow. We have purchased a property on a development in Brixham and Mr Stevens is involved in the running of the project. The project seems to be running into problems and I wondered if anyone can let me know what the outcome was with the Barnes Meadow was. I would be interested to hear from anyone who can shed a bit more light on things. Were the problems at Barnes Meadow resolved ?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Planning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: