uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The would-be deerhunter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GGG

PostPosted: 30/07/06, 16:49    Post subject: The would-be deerhunter Reply with quote

In the latest issue of 'The Parish News' John Pennington in a column headed 'Out and About with JP' writes with ill-concealed frustration of this trouble with deer eating his garden crops and asks for advice on how to stop these pests doing such damage - short of erecting expensive six-feet high fencing.

My garden, too, has been invaded by these awful animals (they actually stripped almost every leaf off my 36 runner bean plants as soon as they attained a height of 6ft and were flowering wonderfully).

What I'd like to do is obtain a double barrel shotgun and blast the heads off the animals as soon as they show up for their early morning feast! But regrettably in this 'elf an' safety obsessed country we are not allowed to own firearms (unless we are villains!) so I think, Mr Pennington, all we can do is stage a protest demo outside the local cinema if ever it dares to screen a re-run of 'Bambi'. Evil or Very Mad
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 01/08/06, 22:39    Post subject: bambi Reply with quote

i might know some dubious butchers.i,ll have a word,now where did i leave that elephant gun.happy days from slasher mcgurk
alcairns@aol.com

PostPosted: 03/08/06, 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just moved to Uplyme from the city I am somewhat taken aback by the attitude of the locals towards the indigenous wildlife. I have a suggestion to solve the runner bean problem that is a lot less grizzly. Buy them at the local farm shop. This is a lot quicker and less labour intensive plus it supports the local growers! There are a lot of plants that are deer resistant! Leave the deer alone!
Donna22

PostPosted: 03/08/06, 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a non local u odviously havent grassed the sense of humour of Devon life yet, We have lovely runner beans growing and no deers have been near them yet!!!!! Im a veggie and wudnt eat bambi anyway,
Rhodie

PostPosted: 05/08/06, 09:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

alcairns@aol.com wrote:
Buy them at the local farm shop. This is a lot quicker and less labour intensive plus it supports the local growers!
And how do you think the local growers overcome this problem. You are merely passing on the responsibility. A good policy would be not to pay someone else to do what you wouldn't do yourself. If you are not prepared to kill a cow should you be prepared to eat one killed by someone else?
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 06/08/06, 22:37    Post subject: bean there and dunit Reply with quote

why buy em when you can swipe em,ahh halcyon days runner bean scrumping,i of course will not be revealing my identity.shappy yad
geoff

PostPosted: 07/08/06, 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex really. Never had you down as a beantealeaf.

I suppose in the same way you wouldn't grow strawberries in an aviary, you can't grow runner beans (or much else) in a deer visited garden.

I think I read somewhere that if you hang bags of human hair around the periphery of the garden it may discourage the deer ? Has anyone else heard this - or better still tried it ?

G.
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 07/08/06, 11:51    Post subject: beans Reply with quote

so that where my strawberries have gone,i believe the human hair thing works but then the nits eat the beans instead,now where did i leave the blue unction.happy days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: