uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ballot on 'AV' voting system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 18/04/11, 17:40    Post subject: Ballot on 'AV' voting system. Reply with quote

So, it's not PR but it is arguably fairer than the current 'first past the post' system that virtually guarantees that the two largest parties will always weild power.

Any reasons to vote 'no' ?

G
Rev

PostPosted: 20/04/11, 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever popped that leaflet through my door today thinks we should vote 'no'... Shocked
geoff

PostPosted: 21/04/11, 06:30    Post subject: It isn't complicated. Reply with quote

I got that no2av leaflet too Rev. When official looking leaflets like that make AV sound so complicated I can't imagine anyone ever wanting it. The thing is, it isn't complicated at all for the voter. If AV comes in but you still want to carry on as before, just put a 1 next to the person you want to vote for. End of story, go home. How is that complicated ?

If the voter chooses to use the additional choice that the AV system provides, he can also put a 2 next to his second choice and so on. He doesn't have to, but he can choose as many or as few as he likes, perhaps just 1,2 and 3.

Personally, I don't think AV addresses all the issues, but I'm beginning to see that it's more representative than the current 'first past the post' system because only candidates who get over 50% of the votes cast win. Recent Parliaments have been elected under fptp with only a little over 30% of the vote.

My only objection to AV is that it isn't full Proportional Representation, where the make-up of the parliament exactly reflects the votes cast, without any bias.

G.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 21/04/11, 07:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was originally very disappointed that the referendum was not to choose between the present First Past the Post system and a PR system. But anything is better than our present set up and now when you see the poor arguments for keeping FPTP such that AV (the Alternative Vote) is difficult to understand, what an insult to the British public and with the leaflet mentioned by the Rev attempting to bring the argument down to one of personalities there is only one way to vote and that is YES.

I’m not too interested in who popped the leaflet in the Rev’s door more importantly it would be good to know who is financing the ‘NO’ campaign and that appalling leaflet.

During the recent long Labour reign pundits told us that the Tory Party was then and always will be unelectable. Well the last general election went part way to prove that and with a fair voting system it would more than likely hold true. Can you wonder why the ‘NO’ campaign is resorting to gutter techniques.
Martyn

PostPosted: 21/04/11, 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vote 'Yes' for AV; but it wouldn't be my first choice.
Very Happy
Martyn

PostPosted: 03/05/11, 09:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not got my voting card thingy yet.
I've heard there's a known problem in the area.
Can anyone confirm whether I can still vote without?
geoff

PostPosted: 03/05/11, 10:48    Post subject: Voting card is just a reminder. Reply with quote

Happy to confirm that it is not necessary to have your voting card to enable you to vote as long (as you know your name and address !).

Incidentally, it is also not necessary to show it to anyone at the door. These people are not part of the election and have no legal authority whatsoever to ask to see it or how you voted.

G
Rhodie

PostPosted: 03/05/11, 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading between the lines of Geoff’s post one may come to the conclusion that any impostor can turn up at the polling station and say that he is you. Unfortunately this is entirely possible. The first person using a name and address on the day gets the vote. It is a case of first come first served.

‘Vote early and vote often’
geoff

PostPosted: 03/05/11, 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right Rhodie - another part of the electoral system in desperate need of reform.
Now we have the technology to securely do online banking, I really cant see why we cant vote online using our NI number and a password sent by post to the voter.

g
Martyn

PostPosted: 03/05/11, 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the point in the voting card ?
Surely that's just a complete waste of money; imagine the postal cost for 30 million stamps.
geoff

PostPosted: 03/05/11, 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably its just a reminder - yes a complete waste of money in my opinion.
g.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 05/05/11, 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s rather disingenuous of the Tories, including the candidate for our district council seat, to say that AV is complicated, expensive and not fair when you consider who must have insisted in it being the only option to First Past the Post in this referendum.

What a choice to give us. Can Nick Clegg ever be forgiven when he had in his hands the power to insist that the referendum be between FPtP and a true PR system or preferably a choice between various variations of PR, FPtP and if you must AV.

As Deborah Orr says in today’s http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/05/av-vote-lib-dems without a fair voting system is it worth voting at all?

‘Yes, I voted for the Lib Dems in the first place, and I'll be voting Yes to AV today. But unless the next general election is conducted under a reformed voting system, I've learned my lesson. If you want neither main party, and you're not in a marginal, don't vote at all. Then take it on the chin when your boiling frustration because you can't express yourself at the ballot box is dismissed by smug, duplicitous politicians as "voter apathy". The final irony? Without a credible third party, there's no great need to get rid of FPTP anyway. Like a hideous old monster of myth, programmed only to protect itself, FPTP has confounded its enemies by flattering them, sweet-talking them, and making them into fools’.
Rev

PostPosted: 06/05/11, 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's it. Any chance of voting reform screwed within our lifetime. Thanks Conservatives. Thanks Lib Dems. What a mess up. And now we have FPTP for the foreseeable future. Nice. Sad
Rhodie

PostPosted: 07/05/11, 09:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only consolation regarding the loss of the AV vote is that the ConDem honeymoon is finally over and that the LibDems will no longer be signing the Tories blank cheques. But it’s taken a year for them to realise who they have jumped into bed with.

The loss of the AV vote has probably saved the NHS. It’s an ill wind etc.
geoff

PostPosted: 09/05/11, 08:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly - very well put Rev.

So dwindling election turnouts will continue to dwindle and our 'representatives' in Westminster will become increasingly unrepresentative.

G.

Rev wrote:
Yep, that's it. Any chance of voting reform screwed within our lifetime. Thanks Conservatives. Thanks Lib Dems. What a mess up. And now we have FPTP for the foreseeable future. Nice. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: