uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breeding Bird Atlas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 05/08/09, 08:29    Post subject: Breeding Bird Atlas Reply with quote

(This is part of a larger post made under Community)

In order to obtain an up to date record of the fast changing distribution of breeding birds in Britain the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) is currently engaged in a four year project to do so. This being the second year of the field work. Basically the country is divided into 10 km squares and the object is to prove breeding in each of these squares. Uplyme, Lyme Regis and Charmouth lie in the Ordinance Survey square of SY39. I have put on the internet a table of the current position regarding square SY39. The table is available at: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rhg/atlassy39.htm (updated 16.6.2011)

If you can improve the status of any species on the list or even add another species can you please contact me preferably by a PM as the information may be sensitive.

Last edited by Rhodie on 16/06/11, 08:54; edited 1 time in total
Rhodie

PostPosted: 16/06/11, 06:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are now in the last summer of fieldwork for the Atlas and there are still a number of species that need breeding confirmation for the 10km square SY39.This square includes the whole parish of Uplyme and all Lyme Regis and Charmouth. It covers Lambert’s Castle to the north, Stonebarrow in the south east, Charton Bay on the Undercliff in the south west and a short stretch of the River Axe to the west of Weycroft. A table showing the current position regarding this square is available at: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rhg/atlassy39.htm (updated 16.6.2011).

99 species have now been recorded in the breeding season for the square with proof of breeding – the ultimate aim – for 62 of them. Species still to be confirmed breeding include Pheasant, Hobby, Collared Dove, Nightjar, Kingfisher, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Garden Warbler, Marsh Tit, Siskin, Common Crossbill, Lesser Whitethroat and Wood Warbler. The final two have yet to be recorded in the square at all with the Wood Warbler having bred at Lambert’s Castle until just before the atlas work began.

Thanks to Martyn and his recent post on the forum Tawny Owl have now been proved breeding. Can you also help to fill in some of these gaps? You may have Collared Dove bringing young to your bird table or have stumbled across a pheasant with her chicks whilst walking the dog if so please let me know by PMing me and I will update the records.

If you are interested in learning more about the Atlas the website is at:
http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/birdatlas/about
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: