uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Milk Waste Spreading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 17/08/13, 14:19    Post subject: More Milk Waste Spreading Reply with quote

Have you been wondering what the smell was in the Harcombe, Rhode Hill and Yawl areas?
Well after twelve months the spreading of milk waste has recommenced, although it is difficult to believe that milk could smell so vile. The parish council discussed this issue at Wednesday’s meeting and they were 100% against it.

If you haven’t a clue what I am talking about the whole issue was given an airing last year and you can catch up on: http://uplyme.com/debate/viewtopic.php?t=917

In an email to the parish council last July Stuart Hunter of the Environment Agency said, ‘Prior to granting it [the deployment to apply the waste] we reviewed and amended the odour management plan - so hopefully any future issues should be minimized, and we will be able to better deal with problems should they arise’. Unfortunatley it didn't work. Stuart Hunter is looking into the present situation and can be contacted at: stuart.hunter@environment-agency.gov.uk and he would like to know where, when and how bad the odour was. Although one of his colleagues visited the Coach Road and found the air quite sweet, although it turned out that he was up wind of the field in which the effluent is being sprayed and it wasn’t even spread on that day. They may be using alternative sites, the other being in Yawl

You could copy in Jonathan Bailey at: jonathan.bailey1@environment-agency.gov.uk and the Uplyme parish councillor who has taken this under his wing is Eric Brown at:
eric.brown1@tiscali.co.uk
hermin

PostPosted: 17/08/13, 22:52    Post subject: milk waste spreading Reply with quote

As far as im aware it is not milk its the washings from the procsess from the factory. It turns out its very good natural fertilizer for the ground which is better than expensive bought in fertilizer.
At the end of the day all the surveys and environmental studys have taken place and the authorities are happy, there`s nothing illegal going on.
At the end of the day its British farmers growing crops to feed the British public without buying in all this foreign rubbish, Stop knocking them and start supporting them or we will loose them and have to import all our food, which I know the goverment wants us to do
Rhodie

PostPosted: 18/08/13, 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hermin,
Thanks for your reply.

It is reassuring to know that the 600,000 gallons – no I haven’t put ln a couple of extra zeros - being applied to these fields is not wasted milk! But mainly contaminated water.

My greatest concern is one of pollution of the River Lym for history indicates that this is a possibility. Whatever kind of fertilizer is used, natural or manmade, in the wrong place or wrong amounts there are dangers. For instance, ‘It is probably 20 years since these same fields were used for similar disposal of dairy waste and I hoped that it would have been the last. On that occasion the pollutant entered the Lym and on being informed the Environment Agency stopped the work immediately’ Taken from my previous post: http://uplyme.com/debate/viewtopic.php?t=917 This is of particular concern for the Environment Agency for they are currently investigating the reason that one of Lyme’s beaches fails the safe bathing water tests. They are convinced that the river Lyme is causing this problem.

I am not suggesting that there is anything illegal about this practice. But if you are of the opinion that all legal activities are safe and wholesome then that is a different matter. For instance the sale of tobacco and smoking is legal in this country but we all know that smoking is a dangerous and costly, in terms of health care and early death, activity.

You seem quite knowledgeable on the subject of milk waste so perhaps you are a farmer. Your profile doesn’t give any clues or even indicate that you live in this area. If you have some insight into what arrangement is made between the farmer offering his land for the disposal of waste and the company supplying the ‘fertilizer’ I am sure we would all like to know.

Living in the countryside one must accept a fair amount of country smells and noises. Living, as I do, next to a farm that regularly has manure and slurry applied to it is quite acceptable. But if these activities go on day after day and in addition the odour has a ‘richness’ far out performing the usual then that is a different matter. It is the same with noise. Most people can cope with the single tractor occasionally working the fields but to have this everyday for say five years is another problem and this is the prospect that the Harcombe Valley now faces. http://uplyme.com/debate/viewtopic.php?t=1017
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: