uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding my Great Grandmother's House

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayneW

PostPosted: 09/02/15, 21:01    Post subject: Finding my Great Grandmother's House Reply with quote

Hi there, I am new to this group who were kindly suggested to me by the Parish Clerk.

I now live in Exeter but was born in Axminster. My Dad was born in Uplyme and his Grandmother lived in Uplyme until she was 100 when she had to go into a home in Seaton, she lived until just before her 102nd birthday and her, and my Great Grandfather are buried in Uplyme Churchyard.

I came to Uplyme with my son and I (stupidly) tried to find her old house from memory.....I was 8 the last time I went there and I will be 50 this year!! Although I got the general area right, I could not find it. I have tried Googling it but it may have changed its name or even been demolished.

It was called Dalton Cottage and was near Smokey Hole - or at least I remember walking out of the house and turning left, down a lane which then disappeared into woods which I was told was Smokey Hole....

Can anyone tell me anything about what has happened to this cottage? Her name was Elizabeth Turner but known as Polly. She died in 1974 so lived there from between the wars until 1972ish.

Anything very much appreciated. Thank you so much. Jayne x

just to let you know that I have found out where the cottage is through the Uplyme Notifications Facebook page - thank you to everyone who has viewed this and thanks to the people who answered - including the lady who currently lives in the renamed Dalton Cottage!!!

Thanks again. J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: