uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bird Species in Uplyme.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 20/05/12, 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Lyme Regis News of 16 May 2012 the ‘Debate’ on this thread is ‘raging’. Hardly with just three posts this year until this one.

At least the article reminded me of the absence of owl species in the parish reported on this thread. On 23/02/09 Geoff asked, ‘do we have Barn Owls in or around the village?’ To which I had to answer no. But it turned out that they bred in the Parish, well just, that very summer and again in 2010 but after the harsh 2010/11 winter they apparently failed to breed at the same site in 2011. But then last summer whilst having a late evening stroll in an area that I had previously neglected and hoping to find one or two species that had yet to be recorded for the Breeding Bird Atlas I noticed a building that I thought would be an ideal breeding site for barn owls. After some 20 minutes of watching what should fly out? No, but what must have been a little owl. I went back a few evenings later and heard what I guessed was a little owl, but also whilst waiting a barn owl was seen in the same area. I will be back there, a site much closer to the village centre, this summer. I have asked people who live in the area what they know about their local barn owl and these were observant out-door folk but they knew nothing about it. It shows how such an obvious and well-known bird can go un-noticed.

So adding barn owl to the list and a red-legged partridge that walked across the road near Red Cross last summer I think that makes 97 species.
Martyn

PostPosted: 22/05/12, 09:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw three Dippers down Jordan way on Saturday.
Of course it could have been the same Dipper three times; they do move fast.
Martyn

PostPosted: 25/05/12, 08:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Nuthatch nesting, in a bush about 2ft above the ground, right next to my back door.
Not a good place to choose ! I've had to move the dog's feeding bowl, don't want her to disturb the bird or find the nest.
Two eggs in it at the moment.
Martyn

PostPosted: 30/05/12, 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a positive identification on the Nuthatch in the nest . . . . it's a robin.
Martyn

PostPosted: 12/04/16, 14:05    Post subject: Bird identification in Uplyme. Reply with quote

Last weekend I followed a falcon up Springhead Road. It turned into Rocombe Lane, by the bench, and disappeared.
It was definitely faconiform, very big, dark, very powerful looking and VERY fast.
Far too big for a kestrel or a hobby.
What else could it have been other than a peregrine ?
I've seen peregrine down at Beer, but not heard of them in the Rocombe valley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: