uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeview reception
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joss

PostPosted: 07/11/05, 11:57    Post subject: Freeview reception Reply with quote

Does anyone recieve Freeview in Uplyme? I know of several instances where the Freeview website has suggested that certain areas are unable to receive it but in practice they can (none in Uplyme though).
My house is in the bottom of the valley, near the Talbot Arms and I'm getting fed up with having to go to the pub to what digital TV..........not!
Rhodie

PostPosted: 08/11/05, 00:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that some people can receive it in Lyme.
geoff

PostPosted: 08/11/05, 08:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joss,

I think you'll have a problem because you are so far down in the valley. As you probably know the only tower near here to carry Freeview is Stockland Hill. If you can get a good, noise-free signal from there, you should be able to get FreeView.

As I understand it, there is no digital signal from the Eype or Portland repeaters, so the only coverage for Lyme would presumably be Timber Hill etc ?

We get the same channels for free, but via satellite. We used to have the basic Sky package, but I chucked them out for being too expensive and anyway, my kids were all starting to talk like 'Friends' scripts. When you lapse a satellite subscription your digital box reverts to receiving only the free to air channels (ie the Freeview channels mostly) which was all I wanted anyway.

Purists would (correctly) argue that the digital signal has less bandwidth than an analogue TV transmission and therefore picture quality is compromised. For most people just getting a clean picture is all they want, so poor resolution, colour rendition and a few digital artifacts are a price worth paying.

Geoff.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 19/01/06, 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Geoff wrote the above we have tangled with Sky and the experience gained will ensure that I have nothing to do with them again. Basically we simply want to get a half decent picture on BBC 1 & 2, ITV, and Channel 4 & 5. Someone recommended FreeSatFromSky. The one-off payment of £150 includes supplying a mini-dish, a digi-box, a viewing card and the installation Smile

The day for the installation came but the fitters could not get a signal. I found this very odd for you see dishes all over towns in positions that are virtually at the bottom of a canyon. Here we were on the side of hill with clear views almost to the horizon in a south-easterly direction with only a spindly tree breaking the view and the signal was almost none-existent. The only option would have been to install the dish on a pole from the apex of the gable end (and that position is reserved for my wind turbine). This is termed a non-standard installation and would incur an extra charge. I remembered a clause in the contract that said if the customer did not agree to the payment he had the choice of cancelling Wink

I emailed Sky the same day to cancel. Hearing nothing I did so again a week later. A week later I phoned. I asked the bloke what his screen said regarding my account. It said that the installation had been carried out successfully and he asked if I was pleased Evil or Very Mad. What’s more although I was told that money would not be taken from my account until the day of the installation it was in fact taken on the very day that I ordered the service, and further to add insult to injury my credit card would not be re-credited with the £150 until about 14 days after they had received the returned viewing card Mad.

Now back to Joss’s problem. I suggest he does what I now intend doing, and Geoff has by default, and go for Free To Air (FTA). All you need is a satellite dish, almost given away on Ebay and a set top box. No viewing card is needed. All BBC programmes are FTA as, since November are ITV channels. At the moment you will not be able to receive Channels 4 and 5 but these will be going FTA early this year Cool
RichardH

PostPosted: 30/01/06, 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention we have been getting good Freeview reception via our ordinary rooftop aerial for quite a while. There are some advantages to living at the top of the hill facing northeast after all. No involvement with Sky, for one.

As to kids talking as if they were off the set of 'Friends', though, Geoff, I'm afraid that problem exists with Freeview as well.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 31/01/06, 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard am I right in thinking that you receive your reception from the Mendips transmitter Question
Rhodie

PostPosted: 09/01/07, 09:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Freeview website has suggested that certain areas are unable to receive it but in practice they can (none in Uplyme though)”.Joss November 2005,

The Freeview website does tend to be pessimistic about the present situation. Of course there can be no doubt that if your aerial points to Weymouth, as most do in Lyme then as the digital signal is not broadcast from it you certainly will not be able to receive FreeView. But many people in Uplyme receive their signal from Stockland or even Mendip. These two transmitters do broadcast FreeView. At Rhode Hill our standard reception, all the way from the Mendips, even with an amplifier box on the aerial, has a lot to be desired. I was under the impression that to receive digital the reception had to be of the highest quality.

So having borrowed a far from basic “set top box” from a kind gent who responded to my appeal on FreeCycle, I was not over confident that it would work. How wrong I was. Within three or four minutes of switching on the receiver it had found 53 channels. What’s more the picture quality was a vast improvement.

I said pessimistic for checking out our postal code – DT7 3UF - on the Freeview website I am told that the service is not available. I would assume that checking many other Uplyme post codes would also turn up a blank probably because it is assumed sets will be tuned into the Weymouth transmitter. So if your aerial points in a northerly or northwesterly direction borrow a FreeView set top box and give it a try. It may also, if your signal is from Weymouth, be worthwhile to redirect your aerial to Stockland or Mendip

Last edited by Rhodie on 26/05/09, 22:35; edited 1 time in total
Onlyme

PostPosted: 22/03/08, 16:15    Post subject: Freeview Reply with quote

I might be moving to Rhode Lane soon so does anyone know if freeview works there?

Thanks

Alan
Rhodie

PostPosted: 26/03/08, 07:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t think that there is much chance of good reception in Rhode Lane from the Mendip transmitter. Your only chance will be a signal from the Stockland one but I wouldn’t have great expectations Rhode Lane being so low. Can someone in Rhode Lane prove me wrong?

Whilst on the subject is anyone else experiencing reception problems at the moment from the Mendip transmitter?
At Rhode Hill digital reception is non-existent even analogue is un-watchable.

It’s still two years before the Mendip transmitter increases its power by 10 fold.
Martyn

PostPosted: 19/06/08, 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get quite a reasonable signal in Lower Rocombe Lane.
Lots of channels but some of them not so good though.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 26/10/08, 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Friday evening (24th October 2008) a talk was given at the Woodmead Halls by David Farwig from Digital UK on 'The Switch over to Digital TV'. Many people in Uplyme area receive their Freeview reception from the Mendip transmitter. This transmitter will be going full power digital in 2010 whilst the Stockland main transmitter and the Weymouth relay station, from which most people in the Lyme area obtain their signal, will go full power digital in May 2009. Mr Farwig predicted that the Mendip signal will be much affected by the increase in the power output of the local transmitter resulting in a marked deterioration in the signal.

It can’t be estimated how bad this deterioration will be, but as the Stockland transmitter will not only be increasing its power output the digital signal will also be transmitted from higher up the tower from where the analogue signal is presently being broadcast. This will result in some people in the area then being able to receive a decent signal from the transmitter. Therefore redirecting your aerial may be all you need to do. Whilst others will either have to lump the bad reception for a year or get a dish and another set top box and go for one of the satellite options.
geoff

PostPosted: 28/10/08, 10:52    Post subject: Freesat Reply with quote

We use Freesat here - it is not too expensive to set up (especially if you have an 'expired' sky dish already).

All the channels except Dave and Five, which as far as I know are only broadcast encrypted on Astra satellites by Sky, hence being unobtainable to anyone without subscription to the Sky ripoff company.

If you are willing to spend more you could go for a steerable dish giving you the options of many more channels, but unless you are a technology enthusiast, or into sport or films in a big way I wouldn't bother for average domestic viewing.

Cheers,
Geoff.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 03/07/09, 06:23    Post subject: Post Switch Over Reply with quote

Post the digi switch over can it be assumed that everyone is happy?

On asking around and personal experience suggests the answer is no.

As suggested above I risked life and limb and swung my aerial around from the Mendip to the Stockland transmitter. Nothing. I disconnected the aerial booster thinking that the signal may have been too strong. Nothing.

Has anyone else swung their aerial around and had success and lived to tell the tale?

I was using a Pace twin tuner digi-box up until Christmas and someone in Lyme who is also having problem with one of these boxes suggests that they were designed for use with pre-switch over low signal and now are overwhelmed with the ten fold increase in power.

Any comments would be most welcome.
Driver

PostPosted: 03/07/09, 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

On switch over day I had to retune both BT vision boxes to the "new" channels both TV's with freeview built in, once retuned were fine.

But both the old(pre digi day) would not see the new channels I spoke to Richer Sounds in Bristol and Maplins both said that the old type boxes would NOT work with the new fully digital signal so got 2 new boxes and there fine tuned straight in. I use a old aerial in the loft with a signal booster pointing at stockland.

I'm not sure what the full technical reason is but they appear to have built by accident or by design a way to make didgi boxes not work after "upgrades" in signal this happened several times in Bristol when testing the codecs in the box failed after signal upgrades!
geoff

PostPosted: 06/07/09, 10:57    Post subject: 2 BT vision boxes ? Reply with quote

I'm interested thast you have got two BT vision boxes running at once ? I have read this is impossible due to encryption keys being linked to the box's serial number or MAC address or something unique ?

Or do you have two home hubs ?

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Advice All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: