uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeview reception
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 06/07/09, 11:04    Post subject: Re: Post Switch Over Reply with quote

Hi Rhodie,

Up here in the village we were always pointing at Stockland. The only real difference we have noticed post-digi switchover is that some of the fringe channels now come in more strongly.

I very much doubt that your receiver is being swamped with too much signal though. The digital signals from Stockland are on six of the lower channels now: C22, C23, C25, C26, C28, C29, C30. I wonder if it is possible that your aerial was tuned to the higher channels ? I don;t know the frequesncies for the Mendip Mast.

Also, are you sure you have the correct heading for the aerial ? There's a really useful display on the BT vision box that shows you the signal strength in real-time, so you can tweak away and peak the signal.

Hope that helps ?

G
Rhodie

PostPosted: 06/07/09, 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Driver

I found a little more on this on http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1622847

It does seem that some of the older digiboxes are only fit for dumping. This comes after we were all encouraged to go digital ASAP resulting in some people having had a whole series of digiboxes. When this is all sorted out we can then look forward to the digital radio switchover.

Hi Geoff

Are you saying that each aerial is designed to only receive signals from certain channels?
If so then simply swinging the aerial around was probably never going to work.

Or am I as confused now as I was when told that at each of the two stages of the switchover I would have to retune?
I imagined that this would involve taking the cover off the box and fiddling about with adjustments when all it meant was rescanning for channels.
geoff

PostPosted: 07/07/09, 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rhodie,

Yes, domestic UHF aerials are optimised for channel groups and allocated a group letter:-

* Group A - Channels 21-37
* Group B - Channels 35-53
* Group C/D - Channels 48-68
* Group E - Channels 35-68
* Group K - Channels 21-48
* Group W - Channels 21-68 (wideband)

K and W are relatively broadband as you can see.

So, you should be using Group A to bring in Ch 22-30 from Stockland.
If you were previously receiving analogue from Mendip I suspect your aerial may be group C/D and there is a mismatch resulting in signal loss.

G.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 08/07/09, 09:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Geoff. You can search the web for something and answer eventually is to be found on the UPLYME FORUM
Driver

PostPosted: 11/07/09, 07:56    Post subject: Re: 2 BT vision boxes ? Reply with quote

geoff wrote:
I'm interested thast you have got two BT vision boxes running at once ? I have read this is impossible due to encryption keys being linked to the box's serial number or MAC address or something unique ?

Or do you have two home hubs ?

G.

that's the "BT" response! In fact its very easy! This is what I did:-

Connect home hub get it to go do all its config, leave it about 30 mins to settle down Connect BT vision box 1, go through all the config getting IP address etc and checking telphone line, scanning for channels etc.

Once box 1 its all set up and working connect vision box 2, as the box tries to connect to the home hub you will get and error message about IP and confige ignore it and let the box carry on it will get its IP address from the home hum and set it's self up scan for channels and there you go all working! Well not quite when you hame 2 BT vision boxes the primary box the one you set first will work as specified the second box will work except you cannot set programme schedules for recording so you have to remember to set the programme schedules on box 1 .

We also have Sky and sky plus on 2 TV's without Multi subscription that was even easier just a multi port LMB

Geoff you may not realise I live in your old house! And I need to talk to you sometime about webcams and the easy way to configer them as I want to keep a record of the next building project for our relations abroad
geoff

PostPosted: 14/07/09, 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver,

YHM !.
G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Advice All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: