uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuart Buckland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baker

PostPosted: 16/01/06, 10:05    Post subject: Stuart Buckland Reply with quote

Could anyone tell me how Stuart Buckland is? I usually ring him each year from Australia but this year I couldn't get through and thought he may have moved. He was the proprietor of the 'Talbot Arms' many years ago. Does he still live at his house on Lyme Road called 'Devon End' or has he moved? Thank you in advance.
Regards
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 20/01/06, 17:34    Post subject: Stuart is well ! Reply with quote

As it turns out, I was talking to Stuart this lunchtime at the Volunteer (The Volly) in Broad St, Lyme Regis. He is fine and would very much like to hear from you again.

Yes, he is still at the 'Devon End' address. I can send you the full address and postcode if needed ?

Cheers,
Admin.
geoff

PostPosted: 25/01/06, 09:40    Post subject: Success story for Uplyme.com !! Reply with quote

The story has a happy ending - Toni has now been able to contact Stuart !

Very Happy Geoff.
baker

PostPosted: 02/02/06, 06:49    Post subject: How did I know Stuart? Reply with quote

Hi,
Back in the mid 70's. My parents stayed in Lyme one winter for a few days and found themselves at the Talbot most nights. They always talked about how lovely it was. I was 18 when I arrived (I hadn't seen them for 18 months...long story). They organised a job for me in London but as I was from the country and quite young I begged them to call what turned out to be Stuart and ask if he had any work...when my mother finally did ring days later Stuart's 'barmaid' had left the night before and he said come down....I fell in love with Lyme and Stuart became like a father to me. I only worked there a few months and went off to Europe, but I have loved coming back over the years. Eventually I spent most of my 20's in Brighton and Richmond....I could go on and on but better stop there - I will bore you!
Regards, Toni.
geoff

PostPosted: 02/02/06, 08:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the story Toni. I assume you have seen the pictures of the Talbot http://www.uplyme.com/images/talbot_front_comp.JPG ? None of the inside at the moment, but there are pictures of the two most recent trips we have been on from the pub - click the buttons on the LHS here http://www.uplyme.com/talbot_arms.htm . The current Landlord is Steve Gardner, who is making a great job of the place.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Last edited by geoff on 03/02/06, 16:18; edited 2 times in total
geoff

PostPosted: 02/02/06, 08:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<on behalf of Toni>>

Hi Geoff,
I have seen the exterior shot of the Talbot on the website - it would be good to see more.
When I was there, if memory serves me right, there were:
a. weekly orders of flowers arriving and we (my parents and I) always thought it looked so glorious, what with the exterior flower boxes as well
b. a lady called Peggy who was the breakfast cook. Some of the wonderful regulars were
c. 'Joan and Jack' (they had lived in Africa for a time...I remember she played tennis regularly and at the time I thought how can anyone who is 60 play tennis....well I have changed that idea as I age myself), Jack was always telling me to "OPEN YOUR MOUTH when you speak".
d. Doc Thomas who always ordered according to his mood
Regards, Toni.
geoff

PostPosted: 03/02/06, 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to this, Toni has sent in several photos from the mid-70's including this one of Stuart Buckland and a member of his staff ...

Geoff.

Last edited by geoff on 01/08/08, 08:46; edited 2 times in total
Claire Griffin

PostPosted: 02/04/06, 19:24    Post subject: Stuart Reply with quote

Hi My parents live next door to him still in Uplyme and i see him every week, he is doing well, coping and still enjoying his trips to the pub for lunch even if it is via buses. He is what Uplyme is about, lovely kind people.
geoff

PostPosted: 05/04/06, 08:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very kind of you Claire. Yes I saw him again in the Volly about a week ago chatting to Joe O'Donnell. Seemed fine.

Geoff.
geoff

PostPosted: 31/07/08, 10:02    Post subject: An Officer and a Gentleman Reply with quote

I just heard the sad news that Major Stuart Buckland, late of the
Cheshire Regiment and Vice-President of the Lyme Regis British
Legion, died on Wednesday 11th June.

Many villagers will remember him as the landlord of the Talbot Arms
in the 70s and more recently as a very chirpy, freindly regular in the Volunteer.
Always very smartly dressed like the Officer and Gentleman he was.

The funeral took place at 14:00hrs on 19th June at St.Micheal's in Lyme.
baker

PostPosted: 01/08/08, 08:22    Post subject: Stuart Buckland Reply with quote

Though sadly I must say goodbye to Stuart, my connection with Lyme Regis will endure and I hope to visit again soon.
When I do it will be my shout at the Talbot Arms (even if mine will be a lemon lime and bitters - though I should make an exception and have the cocktail Stuart used to make from his days in India!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: