uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banger Racing and the Lack of Planning Control
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 08/03/06, 23:54    Post subject: Banger Racing and the Lack of Planning Control Reply with quote

Uplyme is in for a rude awakening this coming Sunday when banger racing descends on a field at the junction of Springhead Road and The Coach Road. The parish council discussed this and all its implications at their meeting tonight. Apparently farmers are allowed to "diversify" into this activity for 28 days a year without requiring planning permission, which seems no control at all. One event each Sunday for 28 weeks should nicely see out the spring, summer and part of the autumn right up until 17th September. Sad

Parish councillors are very concerned regarding road safety issues. Access is via single track narrow lanes with difficult access to the A35. They also fear that as the field in question is not large enough for parking, vehicles will be left on Springhead Road and the Coach Road which could be a seriously problem for the emergency services. They fear that the entire area will be strewn with litter of all kinds and the verges will be trashed. Mad

The landowner has not even had the decency to inform neighbouring property owners, the parish council or the police of the coming event Evil or Very Mad

What can be done to stop this Question
Rhodie

PostPosted: 10/03/06, 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parish council was misled, as was the Lyme Regis News, on the date of the first event. It is not this Sunday but the following one, thatís the 19th March.

There is a website

http://www.southsomersetautograssclub.co.uk/
geoff

PostPosted: 12/03/06, 08:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity - if it had been today the drizzle might have absorbed some of the noise !
Rob

PostPosted: 13/03/06, 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove round for "ages" trying to find this event...I thought it seemed quiet!

If it had not been for the local paper, I had not seen any advertisement for the event.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 19/03/06, 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the event as bad as we were led to believe it would be?

I think not. All vehicles were parked in the field the only cars parked anywhere near it were of dog walker cars parked at the junction with the Coach Road. As for litter, there was none. The verges had seen better days but they may very well have been like that before the event. Anyone got pictures before, I have some taken during the event .

The only genuine complaint would be the noise and perhaps fumes. What do they burn? I sat in the garden of one of the closest houses to the field, admittedly upwind from the racing, where the occasional vehicle on the road was louder than the racing. I live just under half a mile from the field in a south-easterly direction tucked in under the hill and didnít hear a thing. But people a mile away and almost due south at the Black Dog were disturbed by it. There was a northerly wind at the time that suggests that the centre of Uplyme would have been the worst affected area. The noise at the closest houses down wind must have been terrible.

Would anybody else like to say how they fared for noise disturbance?

Last edited by Rhodie on 20/03/06, 23:17; edited 1 time in total
geoff

PostPosted: 20/03/06, 09:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rhodie,

Yes, the noise was clearly audible down here in the village. Even inside a double glazed house, the loud revving of engines and the droning of the PA system was impossible to ignore.

I applaud the fact that different people enjoy different leisure activities so it is unfortunate that unlike most activities, this one creates so much aggressive noise and intrudes into other people's quieter leisure activities, (enjoying their gardens, walking, generally relaxing on a Sunday etc etc)

I also suspect that if banger racing continues on Sundays throughout the tourist season, we may be getting complaints from visitors who expect a quiet Devon village. I accept that it is possible that some visitors may enjoy the events, but I strongly suspect that they would be in a tiny minority.

Why can't they just move to a field out of earshot of local villages - for example the same club (South Somerset) used Miles Thimbleby's fields out on the Crewkerne road for several meetings without annoying anyone.

Anyway, let's not ban yet another relatively harmless activity - let's just make sure it takes place where no one is disturbed by it ?

The club has a website...
http://www.southsomersetautograssclub.co.uk/index.htm

I have invited members of the club's committee to comment on this topic.
In case anyone would like to write directly to the club, the club secretary is janice.perren@yahoo.co.uk and committee members include...

roger@lillington55.fsnet.co.uk
graham.barber@aol.com
brian.perren@virgin.net

G.
janiceperren

PostPosted: 20/03/06, 19:51    Post subject: South Somerset Autograss Meeting Reply with quote

As South Somerset Autograss Club Secretary I would like to clarify a few points of concern that have been raised by concerned residents.

1. South Somerset Autograss Racing Club is governed by the National Autograss Sports Association (N.A.S.A). As part of NASA we as a club must apply to the governing body for a PERMIT TO RACE. The details we have to provide on this permit include the Area Police Authority i.e Devon & Cornwall. These details are necessary so that the NASA Director issuing the permit can forward on the details of our meetings to the police.

I know that the director informed the police in writing because we receiving a phone call from PC Symons (Area Traffic Management Office) on Wednesday of last week regarding the meetings we are going to hold. I also know he has spoken to other members of our committee.

We are also not issued with a PERMIT TO RACE until we have paid our PUBLIC LIABILITY and our DRIVERS personal injury insurance.

2. We have absolutely NO INTENTION of racing for 28 weeks. We have applied to NASA to hold 5 meetings spread over March, April and again in August.

3. Autograss Racing IS NOT BANGER RACING it is a NON-CONTACT sport. It equates to stock cars racing on grass.

4. To stop any fears about litter in the countryside being left, it is also part of the clubs policy to leave the field litter free after each days racing.

5. NASA set down a very strict set of rules and regulations which we MUST run to, this includes a noise level of 105 decibels These rules and regulations also include the way our track is constructed for the safety of drivers, marshals and UPMOST the safety of the spectators. We also have a ambulance and qualified ambulance personnel at all our meetings.

We welcome your comments. Please could you use brianp@loxleigh5.freeserve.co.uk which is regularly checked. We hope this will go someway to putting your minds at rest.

Many thanks
Rhodie

PostPosted: 20/03/06, 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited the field on Monday afternoon and must say that the club had cleared up very well. What happened to those mounds of rubbish we were warned about?

But the noise Shocked

I understand that the field will not be used for all the meetings this year for the owner will be ploughing after the April meetings and sowing maize. Other field(s) owned by the farmer will be used and one perhaps closer to you Surprised
geoff

PostPosted: 21/03/06, 08:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I think it is very encouraging that Janice has taken the trouble to join the debate and put the case for autograss racing.

I am somewhat dismayed that there are plans for five race days this year - one of which will be in peak holiday season. Like Rhodie, I have not heard any real reports of problems with litter or traffic after Sunday, it just the huge racket made by the event - and unfortunately that pollutes the whole village and surrounding area!

Do the vehicles HAVE to be so loud though ? I realise that fitting effective mufflers in the exhaust system like road cars may reduce engine power somewhat but if all cars were fitted then it would still be a fair race but much, much quieter - or is the noise part of the attraction ?

G.
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 21/03/06, 13:18    Post subject: grasstrackers Reply with quote

THE EASIEST ANSWER TO GEOFFS POINT IS NO THEY DONT HAVE TO BE SO NOISY.THE ONLY REASON THEY HAVE STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST IS THAT THE SILENCERS DONT GET KNOCKED OFF.ANSWER IS TO REROUTE THE EXHAUST.THE REAL REASON IS OF COARSE THE DRIVERS JUST LIKE THE NOISE.UNTIL RECENTLY I USED WORK AT A GARAGE WHERE THE OWNERS USED TO BE INVOLVED IN VARIOUS STAGES OF STOCK CAR RACING AND BANGERS.
WHEN ASKED THE ONLY REASON FOR OPEN EXHAUST IS IT SOUNDED BETTER,AT THIS LEVEL OF RACING YOU WOULD GAIN NO MARKABLE EXTRA PERFORMANCE,OR AM I WRONG PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM.HAPPY DAYS
Tailgate

PostPosted: 21/03/06, 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that the 1st I was aware of this event was a general email received from Geoff. I was unaware of any noice at all here at the old New Inn & I was at home all day.
T WINCHESTER CAR SS140

PostPosted: 21/03/06, 20:37    Post subject: AUTOGRASS RACING Reply with quote

IT'S A SHAME THAT SOME PEOPLE TOOK THE TIME TO TELL PEOPLE THE EVENT WAS CANCELLED, TOOK DOWN THE DIRECTION SIGNS WHICH LED TO PEOPLE DRIVING AROUND LOOKING FOR THE TRACK, INFORMED THE LOCAL PRESS ABOUT OUR 'ILLEAGAL' RACING AND TOLD THE LOCAL RESIDENTS OF THE IMPENDING DOOM AND GLOOM WE WOULD CAUSE. IF THEY HAD SPENT THIS TIME GAINING KNOWLEDGE ABOUT AUTOGRASS RACING AND WHAT THEY COULD EXPECT IE THE WHOLE EVENT IS HELD IN 1 FIELD, NOT ALL OVER HE SURROUNDING AREA, IT COULD HAVE SAVED SOME OF THE DISTRESS CAUSED BY THE SCAREMONGERERS. WE HAVE POPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF LIVE THAT RACE WITH US. SOME OF THE CARS COST UPWARDS OF £15000.00, SOME CARS COST A FEW HUNDRED POUNDS AND ARE RUN BY PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING GIVE CHILDREN FROM THE AGE OF 12 UPWARDS A CHANCE TO EXPERIENCE SOMETHING OTHER THAN HANGING AROUND STREET CORNERS.
AS A CLUB WE ARE A NON PROFIT MAKING ORGANISATION. AFTER ALL OF OUR EXPENSES ARE PAID, WE DONATE MONEY TO LOCAL CHURCH FUNDS, YOUTH FOOTBALL CLUBS, PLAYGROUPS, SCHOOLS AND OTHER WORTHY CAUSES. OVER THE PAST 12 YEARS WE HAVE DONATED £17500.00 APPROX TO WORTHY CAUSES.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 21/03/06, 21:37    Post subject: Re: AUTOGRASS RACING Reply with quote

T WINCHESTER CAR SS140 wrote:
IF THEY HAD SPENT THIS TIME GAINING KNOWLEDGE ABOUT AUTOGRASS RACING

I think that you have got this entirely wrong. You were bringing to a quiet undisturbed location, a noisy motor sport that no one had previously heard of. The decent thing, if you did not wish to antagonise the locals, would have been to inform the parish council and perhaps leaflet some of the closest houses to the field and an article in the press would not have gone amiss. This would have saved all the speculation and fear of the unknown.

I find it arrogant that you come to a new venue, one where you wish to hold a number of events throughout the summer and tell us that we should gain knowledge about autograss racing. If you went about the preliminaries to this first meeting in a cautionary and informative manner the wild speculations would not have occurred. You only have yourselves to blame for this.

I found the actual meeting very well organised and peopleís worst fears did not materialise. But the noise is a serious problem.

I assume that the beneficiaries of your largess this year will be the church, football club and school of Uplyme.
T WINCHESTER CAR SS140

PostPosted: 21/03/06, 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 10 March someone found our website which contains contact details, no one contacted us. The residents who live close to the field were given free passes to attend. It was funny to see people had fenced of their verges in case someone parked on them. It just goes to prove you should not judge a book by it's cover and perhaps the scaremongerer's will have some egg on their faces. As the treasurer I will take into account all the matters arising from racing at this venue when I give the committee my proposals for money distribution. It is unwise to assume anything because it makes an ASS of U & ME.
As for the noise we are looking at lowering the decibel limit.
Please feel free to come and find me at the next race day, as I and the other members would be more than happy to explain our sport to you and anyone else who is interested.
geoff

PostPosted: 22/03/06, 08:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Winchester,

Thanks for reinforcing Janice's case for autograss.

I would tend to agree that because of the lack of knowledge of these events amongst locals, there was concern regarding all kinds of issues, however that lack of information is the fault of the club - not the locals as they did not ask the club to come here to race.

It is only to be expected that when using a venue for the first time, an organisation would go to extra lengths to avoid trouble, however let's accept for the moment that the only real concern at the moment is noise.

Quote:
...we are looking at lowering the decibel limit

That's good, but what does that mean exactly ? What is the current decibel limit ? How do you intend to monitor it and from where ? The bottom line is - if this is permitted to happen again will it be noisy in the village ?

Two fundimental questions remain unanswered:-

If autograss is as well-regulated and responsible as its members claim, why aren't the cars fitted with muffled exhaust systems when they are going to be raced within earshot of uninvolved people? Road cars have to be quiet by law so they don't cause offence to other road users and others.

Why choose a site that is near to a peaceful village ? Why did you have to move from Miles Thimbleby's fields along the Crewkerne road where you raced previously? As a Somerset club surely you can find somewhere in Somerset to race?

Thank you for the invitation to come and talk to you on the next race day, but from my point of view I am not particularly interested in motorsport - I just want our village to be peaceful on Sundays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Planning All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: