uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Uplyme have a twin town in France
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alistair

PostPosted: 16/08/06, 22:08    Post subject: Does Uplyme have a twin town in France Reply with quote

Hello

I live in France and my mother-in-law lives in UpLyme. Does UpLyme have a twin town in France (or any other European country for that matter)?

Alistair
geoff

PostPosted: 24/08/06, 12:36    Post subject: Re: Does Up Lyme have a twin town in France Reply with quote

alistair wrote:
Hello

Does UpLyme have a twin town in France

Alistair

No, as far as i am aware the village does not have a twin town unfortunately. perhaps it would be worth discussing whether this would be of sufficient interest to villagers to warrant getting a twinning committee together?

any suggestions as to a suitable french (or other) village of similar size ?

geoff
alistair

PostPosted: 30/08/06, 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, France is a land of villages. We live in one of 1300 people about 20 kilometres from Geneva. However, I think that a good pairing would be with one more like Uplyme, and a bit closer. Perhaps a village on the outskirts of Roscoff in Brittany would be a good partner - not too far away, and an excellent ferry connection from Plymouth. Recently on vacation in Brittany in a village we saw 'Route de Wincanton'! Very Happy
gutter

PostPosted: 31/08/06, 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the twinning idea is great - let's give it lots of publicity and see what the villagers think!
Martyn

PostPosted: 19/06/08, 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really understood the idea of twinning.
Apart from allowing some of the councillors to go abroad;- what's the point?
WHat possible 'real' benefit can there be to either town?
alistair

PostPosted: 21/07/08, 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn wrote:
I've never really understood the idea of twinning.
Apart from allowing some of the councillors to go abroad;- what's the point?
WHat possible 'real' benefit can there be to either town?

We live in an international world where our children will travel and probably work with people from many different countries who speak languages other than English. It is important that they know and respect other people. Cultural and linguistic exchange is an important part of their education, and this is one of the benefits which can be derived from active twinning with towns in France, Belguim, Netherlands, Germany and so on.
Martyn

PostPosted: 22/07/08, 08:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alistair, thanks for the reply.
I agree we live in an increasingly international world, where people are travelling more and more (I've travelled a fair bit myself with my job).
But I fail to see what that has to do with twinning.

People (children or adults) can travel whenever they want; they can learn a language if they want. That is not positively affected by whether the town they live in has a twin. You could even say it was limited by having a twin - if a town has a twin in France, does that suggest that a child should only be able to go to that one town, in Frace. Why shouldn't he go to any other town in France, or Germany or anywhere else. If you say that he is free to go to any other town, in any country, then what advantage to having a twin?
Martyn
alistair

PostPosted: 22/07/08, 09:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that twinning can provide a framework where people can get to know one another and built trust. For example many parents would feel unconfortable about letting their children go off to a French village about which they know little. However, with twinning, bonds of trust can be built between the communities, so that such things are quite possible, safe and fun.
pierre

PostPosted: 17/08/08, 16:44    Post subject: Twinning! Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm Pierre, I'm French and I've started to talk about a twinning with Geoff Browne a few months ago. Apparently Geoff asked someone from the Town Hall whether the twinning could be possible and the answer was no!This summer we went to Uplyme for a week (Myrtle Cottage) to see & discover your beautiful countryside & met Geoff. I live inFrance in the Champagne area (near Vertus, Geoff has got pictures of our villages as we are a community of 4 villages, 450 people). Our councillors have given me (they voted for the twinning) the responsability to try a twinning with Uplyme. And now villagers from Uplyme start being interested in a twinning! Well I stay open to all propositions!

Pierre!
alistair

PostPosted: 18/08/08, 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salut Pierre

Merci bien de ce message. Le temps me manque aujourd'hui pour ecrire un long message. Mais ce que vous avez dit est vraiement interessant. J'ecrirai plus tard vers la fin de cette semaine.

Amicalement.

Alistair
pierre

PostPosted: 19/08/08, 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour Alistair,

J'espère que je ne marche pas sur tes plates - bandes mais de notre côté nous sommes prêts à nous investir dans ce projet et de plus j'ai l'accord du conseil municipal. Il y a cependant un petit problème : les habitants ne semblent pas intéressés & motivés pour aller découvrir une autre culture. Alors.....
Enchanté de faire ta connaissance, je me permets le tutoiement!

A bientôt! Wink
geoff

PostPosted: 23/08/08, 14:57    Post subject: Bon Idee ! Reply with quote

Hi again Pierre,

Good to see you in the Uplyme Debate.

As you know, I would be interested in finding out about setting up some sort of twinning arrangement, but to get others in the village interested, could you please remind us of some of the benefits of twinning ?

Also, could we please restrict the dialogue to English otherwise no one in the village (except Alistair !) will understand what's being discussed Surprised)

All the best,
Geoff.
pierre

PostPosted: 31/08/08, 15:15    Post subject: Twinning! Reply with quote

I thought starting a twinning with another village would be easy but appenrently I was wrong! As far as I am concerned a twinning is not only reserved to the main protagonists as the main objective is to make different people discover each other (culture, sports, languages, hobbies & many things which make life worth living for!). As I said earlier, I know The United Kingdom very well as I stayed & lived there for quite a while and my wife is English. What I would like would be to open up people from my village to a new and very interesting country in order to broden their views and put aside all cliches about THE ENGLISH! I think we have a duty towards the new generation to get closer as, for exemple, job wise, they will have to go abroad and being able to speak the language of the country will be a bonus. I am ready to discuss about this isuue with everyone from Uplyme who would like to get more information about this twinning!
Bye,
Pierre Wink
alistair

PostPosted: 31/08/08, 17:20    Post subject: Re: Twinning! Reply with quote

pierre wrote:
I thought starting a twinning with another village would be easy but appenrently I was wrong! As far as I am concerned a twinning is not only reserved to the main protagonists as the main objective is to make different people discover each other (culture, sports, languages, hobbies & many things which make life worth living for!). As I said earlier, I know The United Kingdom very well as I stayed & lived there for quite a while and my wife is English. What I would like would be to open up people from my village to a new and very interesting country in order to broden their views and put aside all cliches about THE ENGLISH! I think we have a duty towards the new generation to get closer as, for exemple, job wise, they will have to go abroad and being able to speak the language of the country will be a bonus. I am ready to discuss about this isuue with everyone from Uplyme who would like to get more information about this twinning!
Bye,
Pierre Wink

Pierre

Thanks for this post and I apologize for not replying sooner. We have been busy moving home to England from France. I support all that you say and I would like to try to get something set up in Uplyme.

Best wishes

Alistair
geoff

PostPosted: 11/09/10, 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this idea ever get anywhere ?

I met Pierre and a very nice chap he is. We often swap gardening hints and tips by email. I was delighted to be able to help him place a student for work experience here in Uplyme and there must be all sorts of other good things that could come from a twinning arrangement.

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: