uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Yawl Farm and Family

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HistoryDave

PostPosted: 12/09/07, 19:26    Post subject: Looking for Yawl Farm and Family Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone happened to have a picture of Yawl House or Yawl Farm that they could email me? It is believed that my ancestors lived there in the 1600's. It would be greatly appreciated! I did finally locate an 1891 map of the farm, so I can give you an approximate location if you need it.

I am also looking for all Dare Family descendants in Devon, Dorset, and Somerset. We are building a family tree of all descendants of a Vicar named William Dare in 1329. If you can put me in touch with any of this family - please ask them to email me at dave.darefamily@yahoo.com. I hope to add an Uplyme tab to our web site soon. If you have old photos of the Uplyme or Lyme Regis area that you would be willing to contribute, feel free to email those too!

Thanks very very much!

Dave Bates
NJ Dare Family Historian
http://darefamily.com
HistoryDave

PostPosted: 13/09/07, 01:19    Post subject: Location according to 1891 Map Reply with quote

According to the 1891 Uplyme Map, (assuming that up is North, which it doesn't specifically say) Yawl Farm was just West of Carswell and Knoll Hill, just South of Knollside, and just East of Cathole Farm. If you were to travel East on Cathole Lane, towards Lyme Road, you would turn left and the Yawl House would be on your right. (going by current satellite views, it would be just past a large square building that has another large building just behind it.) If you turned left onto Yawl Road from Cathole, the Farm would be on your immediate left. So if anyone with a digital camera would be so kind as to take a photo for me, I would be forever grateful!!! Or if anyone has an old historic photo of these two that they can scan and send, I would be grateful even longer! Very Happy
HistoryDave

PostPosted: 13/09/07, 01:30    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

Correction, the directions to the farm would be to turn RIGHT from Cathole Lane onto Lyme Road. The farm would then be on your immediate left (on Lyme Road). Thanks again!!
geoff

PostPosted: 17/09/07, 06:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I will see if I can do something for you, the house you are describing is just up the road from me.

Geoff.
HistoryDave

PostPosted: 17/09/07, 16:06    Post subject: Thanks, Geoff Reply with quote

Much obliged!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: