uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photovoltaics (PVs) arrays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driver

PostPosted: 08/04/10, 05:05    Post subject: Photovoltaics (PVs) arrays Reply with quote

Does anyone have any "real" performance figures for Photovoltaics (PVs) arrays working in this area?

I have access to the figures, the Woodmead Halls produce as they have both hot water and electric cells now.

I am going to install both Photovoltaics and hot water panels just want some numbers (real not sales pitch!) and whom is the best ROI for selling spare electricity back too?
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 08/04/10, 05:57    Post subject: RE: pv / thermal Reply with quote

HI,
we have had some panel installed since: July 2006 a 2.85kw pv array, & so far it has produced 8462kw overall.

we used to sell back to edf, we now sell back to good energy, they pay us for everything we produce, (inc thermal!) , not just what we export (much better)

the thermal panels (5kw) are the best, on good sunlight days, they work so well the regulator shuts off supply to our hot water storage at about 2pm! (we have since installed a by-pass to keep using the "spare" heat to heat other things, like swimming pool, etc.

pm me if you want a decent pv/thermal installer recommendation

regards,
geoff

PostPosted: 08/04/10, 08:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paging Rhodie !!!!!
Rhodie

PostPosted: 09/04/10, 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the wake up call Geoff.

I also am interested in installing some PV panels and even have planning permission to do so but I have a problem not practical but financial.

I had no idea that the Woodmead Hall had a PV installation so took a look yesterday. What a surprise 90 panels on the west facing roof were generating 10 KWs from the late afternoon sunshine. There are display panels in the foyer showing the current power being generated, the total to date and the co2 saved for the PVs and the temperatures for the thermal panels.

Driver I would very much like to see the Woodmead data could you please PM them to me. You haven’t also got the data for the Town Mill hydro generator by any chance?

Last edited by Rhodie on 09/04/10, 23:01; edited 1 time in total
Rhodie

PostPosted: 09/04/10, 22:53    Post subject: Re: Photovoltaics (PVs) arrays Reply with quote

Driver wrote:
Does anyone have any "real" performance figures for Photovoltaics (PVs) arrays working in this area?

I have access to the figures, the Woodmead Halls produce as they have both hot water and electric cells now.

That’s the operative word “real” for I get the feeling that Uplyme particularly towards the heights of Raymond’s Hill is under cloud more often than many other parts of the country. A good website where you can compare live and historic weather conditions at 60 to 70 sites around the country is the London Grid for Learning http://weather.lgfl.org.uk/Default.aspx . The nearest site to us is the Marshwood School the one with the wind turbine. The sites record and display data on rainfall, wind speed and direction, temperature, barometric pressure, humidity and particularly interesting for us solar radiation. I’ve lost count of the number of times when Rhode Hill is shrouded in cloud and the LGfL website shows the rest of the country is bathed in sunshine.

My first choice was to install a wind turbine so I invested in a Power Predictor http://www.bettergeneration.com/power-predictor/introducing-the-power-predictor-anemometer.html This gadget via a website analyses the wind data and predicts the sites electricity generating potential. In two days the device had served its purpose and saved me wasting thousands of pounds on a wind turbine for it was already obvious that I did not have a good site for wind. Although the PP also has a sensor to measure solar radiation and creates interesting charts of the radiation, the generation predictions, unlike those for wind, are not based on this data but are from tables that anyone can access on the net. These tables are mainly based on the site latitude. So local conditions like being on a cloudy hilltop are not taken into consideration.

Driver is therefore right in wishing to see some local performance figures but in the meantime surely the Woodmead Halls data is worth looking at.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 09/04/10, 23:01    Post subject: Re: RE: pv / thermal Reply with quote

voluntaryist.uk wrote:
HI,
we have had some panel installed since: July 2006 a 2.85kw pv array, & so far it has produced 8462kw overall.

The generation total that “voluntaryist.uk” provided is very helpful. His average generation works out at 743 watt hours per IKWp (peak) installed. This is somewhat below the figure usually put out for this latitude suggesting that there is some element limiting generation. This could be shading at certain times of the day or year. Perhaps morning or evenings produce shadows from hills or trees.

The figures would be even more useful if you could tell us exactly where you are and if your site if shaded at certain times. You could PM Driver and myself if you would rather not advertise to the world your exact location.
Driver

PostPosted: 19/05/10, 05:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it been a while but been away in Germany (Spiekeroog) and other exotic locations Brands Hatch and Silverstone! Back on the road this weekend too...

The Woodmead Halls appear to be getting good load of electricity out of their panel and lots of free hot water from the solar heating. There first problem was nobody would take the electric power from them, some problem with the way the grant was structured, I understand its sorted now.

I live on Whalley Lane on the south side, the house is just about East/West so I have a large roof that is South facing.
Driver

PostPosted: 06/08/10, 06:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update I'm still trying to get accurate figures out of the Woodmead Halls but just as a by the way. There appears to be some confusion over their "buy back" contract they have just had a bill for about £400 for this last 1/4 but no apparent credit for the electricity generated by the panels (9400 units)!
geoff

PostPosted: 06/08/10, 07:15    Post subject: free panels ? Reply with quote

A chap was interviewed on the radio yesterday saying that his company will set you up with all the PV equipment for free, though the contract lasts 25yrs.

It seems they make money by selling the elecricity to the power companies who are obliged to buy it. The householder gets cheap/free electricity. The contract rolls over to subsequent buyers if you decide to sell your house before the 25yrs is up.

Sounded too good to be true to me.

G.[/code]
Rhodie

PostPosted: 07/08/10, 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that this is a no-brainer for both the companies offering this service and the homeowner. The firms are on to at least a 10% return on their investment and the home owner to some free electricity the actual amount depending on how they adapt their usage habits. What is there to stop an exponential growth in this win-win opportunity?

These schemes are solely dependent on the generous feed-in tariffs (FITs) - http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generate-your-own-energy/Sell-your-own-energy/Feed-in-Tariff-Clean-Energy-Cashback-scheme - that were introduced by the previous government, and supported by the opposition, on 1st April. But it isn’t the government who foots the bill for these payments. It is those who buy their electricity from the grid who will be pay an increasing amount per unit of electricity in order to fund this. The Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) estimated that the scheme will cost the country £8 billion over 20 years and add £8.50 a year to the average household electricity bill.

One of the players in this free installation scheme is HomeSun who believes 2.4 million UK homes (10%) could be suitable for their scheme. Taking this figure alone and assuming that the company or companies receive payments of £1,000 per year per installation then this amount will be paid via the electricity supply companies by the other 90% of homes with an increase of electricity charges of at least £100 per year.

Will we see these companies approaching house builders to install PV arrays free of charge to enable the buildings to comply to Code 6 of the building regulations?
This would be a particularly good idea regarding low cost housing and why shouldn’t district councils get in on it by offering free installations to home owners in their areas. Even the banks shouldn’t refuse such blue chip loans.

But has the FIT scheme been really thought through? You don’t need me to put forward various scenarios on the future development of FITs in the country but how long can it last? Five, ten or fifteen years before there will be a stop on new adopters taking up the scheme in order to stop electricity prices going through the roof.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 19/10/10, 06:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I was being a little optimistic when
I wrote:

But has the FIT scheme been really thought through? You don’t need me to put forward various scenarios on the future development of FITs in the country but how long can it last? Five, ten or fifteen years before there will be a stop on new adopters taking up the scheme in order to stop electricity prices going through the roof.

For the government is already considering meddling with the FITs under the coming Spending Review now that farmers realise this is the most lucrative crop that they could possibly grow . See:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11483542
Driver

PostPosted: 19/10/10, 08:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by way of an update The Woodmead Halls still haven't received a penny for their electricity (12000 units since installation)!
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 14/02/11, 15:31    Post subject: Re: RE: pv / thermal Reply with quote

Rhodie wrote:
voluntaryist.uk wrote:
HI, we have had some panel installed since: July 2006 a 2.85kw pv array, & so far it has produced 8462kw overall.

The generation total that “voluntaryist.uk” provided is very helpful. His average generation works out at 743 watt hours per IKWp (peak) installed. This is somewhat below the figure usually put out for this latitude suggesting that there is some element limiting generation. This could be shading at certain times of the day or year. Perhaps morning or evenings produce shadows from hills or trees.

The figures would be even more useful if you could tell us exactly where you are and if your site if shaded at certain times. You could PM Driver and myself if you would rather not advertise to the world your exact location.

Hi, sorry for the long reply delay, I had not been getting my email notifications, (my fault) we are directly south facing at an inclination angle of 35degrees, no tree shading summer or winter, since date of installation we have made"1092kw & we are on top of a hill, with good daylight hours from 9am till 4pm during winter & 7am till 9pm summer. hope this helps.

regards,

voluntaryist.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: