uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book burning anyone ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 10/09/10, 15:24    Post subject: Book burning anyone ? Reply with quote

So, pastor Terry Jones has backed down from his plan to burn korans outside his obscure Florida church. Is this a triumph of reason over prejudice? Or a blow to the expression of individual freedom - bearing in mind that the publicity-hungry pastor has every right to dispose of his own posessions under US law ?

Politicians often remind us why our excellent troops are fighting to the death in places like Afghanistan - it is supposedly to bring them the individual freedoms that we rightly hold so dear here in the west. Rights that include the right to act like a loony and burn a few books if we want to. Rights that include saying what we want to without fear of violent retribution.

A koran is just the same as a bible or an A to Z of Liverpool - some wood pulp and ink. America should be ashamed this morning to call itself the 'land of the free'.

G.
Rev

PostPosted: 13/09/10, 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inciting people to religious hatred? I was dismayed. But then I was further dismayed at the response of some of the Muslims in Afghanistan. Neither party seemed to be working in favour of love and peace. I suppose all that stuff Jesus said (you know, that guy who is the God of Christianity and the prophet of Islam) counts for nothing...
Peter.Single

PostPosted: 14/09/10, 08:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

When watching tha american government tryiing to persuade (pressurise) him not to burn the books, in case it upset the muslims, I wondered if any of the muslim government officials were out there, persuading their people not to burn the american flag, or not to burn the effigies of Obama.
Probably not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: