uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic query - honest answer sought!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is summer traffic a problem for Uplyme commuters?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Don't know
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Zoe S

PostPosted: 09/03/12, 21:42    Post subject: Traffic query - honest answer sought! Reply with quote

Hi,

I am interested in renting a flat I've seen in Uplyme, but before I decided either way, I'd love to know what traffic is like getting into Uplyme in the summer evenings.

My job requires me to travel a lot around the South West, with a daily commute of at least one hour each way. I really don't want to add to an already long drive home by sitting in traffic for ages waiting to get back to my home (and hit the beach!) I don't think I'd have a problem on the way to work (I'd be leaving about 8am) but I'm concerned about returning at about 6-7pm. As residents of this gorgeous village, could you give me honest information? Can it be a nightmare to get into the village on summer evenings? Would my journey time be a lot longer on Fridays, for instance?

Equally, I'm a little worried about winter conditions on the roads. How bad do these pretty roads through the valley get in extreme weather conditions? Do the roads in the village get icy? I'd be living on a hill so would I struggle to get my car out in the snow?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want to make the right decision about whether to live here. I really want to, but it's just the travel issue. I'd be commuting to Bristol at least once a week, and Exeter about twice a week, then over to Stourton or Warminster once a week. Phew!

I must congratulate you on a great village website, by the way. I'm really impressed, and there seems to be a great sense of community - I'd love to be a part of it!
Driver

PostPosted: 10/03/12, 08:53    Post subject: Re: Traffic query - honest answer sought! Reply with quote

Zoe S wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in renting a flat I've seen in Uplyme, but before I decided either way, I'd love to know what traffic is like getting into Uplyme in the summer evenings.

My job requires me to travel a lot around the South West, with a daily commute of at least one hour each way. I really don't want to add to an already long drive home by sitting in traffic for ages waiting to get back to my home (and hit the beach!) I don't think I'd have a problem on the way to work (I'd be leaving about 8am) but I'm concerned about returning at about 6-7pm. As residents of this gorgeous village, could you give me honest information? Can it be a nightmare to get into the village on summer evenings? Would my journey time be a lot longer on Fridays, for instance?

Equally, I'm a little worried about winter conditions on the roads. How bad do these pretty roads through the valley get in extreme weather conditions? Do the roads in the village get icy? I'd be living on a hill so would I struggle to get my car out in the snow?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want to make the right decision about whether to live here. I really want to, but it's just the travel issue. I'd be commuting to Bristol at least once a week, and Exeter about twice a week, then over to Stourton or Warminster once a week. Phew!

I must congratulate you on a great village website, by the way. I'm really impressed, and there seems to be a great sense of community - I'd love to be a part of it!

This is Uplyme not some busy metropolis like Axminster! Joking aside there is no real traffic except at school run time when you delay to your journey would be about 30 seconds. We do get snow like every other village in England the main road stays mainly clear and we have an emergency team to deal with gritting and ice on the highway.
geoff

PostPosted: 10/03/12, 10:34    Post subject: Re: Traffic query - honest answer sought! Reply with quote

Hi Zoe,

>...I don't think I'd have a problem on the way to work (I'd be leaving about 8am) but I'm concerned about returning at about 6-7pm...

A few years ago, for nearly a year I commuted to work in Poole every weekday. Leaving at 7am and returning about 6pm, I never once had a problem getting into or out of the village. As Driver says, the only time the road gets anything approaching busy is at school run time ie about 8:30 and about 4:00, when there is a mad 15 minutes and then everything goes quiet again.

In the Summer, there is an increased level of tourist traffic mostly heading to Lyme, but again nothing that causes you more than a minute or two delay.

> Exeter about twice a week...

Maybe consider going green and the train from Axminster? Only 5.95 return to Exeter and it takes about 40mins right into the middle of the city.

> I must congratulate you on a great village website, by the way. I'm really impressed...

Well thanks very much Very Happy it's always nice to hear feedback on the website.

All the best with your move to Uplyme,
Geoff
(Webmaster)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: