uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20mph speed limit campaign
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julian

PostPosted: 15/10/07, 12:41    Post subject: 20mph speed limit campaign Reply with quote

The question was first asked years ago. Why not a 20mph limit in the village? If you walk, cycle or ride through Uplyme you've probably experienced the feeling of vehicles driving past you at speed. As I was walking (visibly) up Springhead Road recently a car drove past me so fast and so close I simply couldn't believe that anyone could either be so incompetent or have so little regard for safety of others. I and several others (mainly parents with children at Mrs Ethelston's) are starting a campaign for a 20 mph limit in Uplyme. Will you join us? The political climate has changed and I am sure that we can improve this difficult situation. Please let's make this small change now before someone is needlessly killed or maimed.

Last edited by Julian on 15/10/07, 14:13; edited 1 time in total
timfox

PostPosted: 15/10/07, 13:17    Post subject: 20mph speed limit Reply with quote

I wish to support this campaign.
What happens next?
Tim Fox
Uplyme
DT7 3TS
01297 443072
Julian

PostPosted: 15/10/07, 13:40    Post subject: 20 is plenty Reply with quote

Tim,
thanks for your support. Initially we want to gather as many names as we can to demonstrate how widespread support is.
Can you persuade others of the importance of our aim and get them to express it in a post or a letter?
Would you write a letter of support for the campaign to Ken George (East Devon District Councillor) perhaps copying it to Hugo Swire MP with a covering letter letting them know that this is a big issue for voters?

There is also a yahoo group for the time being which people are encouraged to join:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/20_is_plenty/
It has some links to related sites.

Julian

Last edited by Julian on 17/10/07, 09:53; edited 1 time in total
Julian

PostPosted: 15/10/07, 13:54    Post subject: 20 = plenty Reply with quote

20 = plenty is the campaign for a 20 mph speed limit throughout the village. We would welcome your support.

Here are some of the reasons why this important change needs to be made:

Nearly half of the people killed and seriously injured on built-up roads with speed limits of 30 and 40mph are pedestrians and cyclists, despite the fact they they are doing a tiny fraction of the total mileage. The reason for this disparity is simple: A pedestrian struck at 20mph has a 95% chance of living. At 30mph that chance is reduced to 55% and, for a person struck at 40mph there is only a 15% chance of survival. Nearly 90% of pedestrians who survive being struck by a car travelling at the urban 30mph speed limit will sustain serious injuries. If I were to be hit by a vehicle in Uplyme today it is highly likely that it would be travelling at more than 30 mph. What would my chance of survival be?

A 20mph speed limit would restore the balance between traffic and our community. It would reduce noise. It would reduce pollution. It would reduce the divisions created by speeding traffic. By encouraging walking and cycling, it would increase social interaction. Vehicles that travel at speed through a village like ours create division in different ways. It becomes difficult and dangerous trying to cross the road. You can't walk along holding a conversation with your children (or anyone else) because you're constantly having to warn them to keep in to the side of the road - to allow a vehicle to drive past.

Reading Woodroffe School's travel plan it was interesting to note how many children wanted to travel to school by cycle or on foot rather than by car - but they were discouraged from doing so by the dangers of the road. By enabling more walking and cycling, especially by children, a 20mph speed limit would do more than any other single measure to defuse the health time bomb of obesity, diabetes and coronary heart disease caused by sedentary lifestyles.

By encouraging more walking and cycling, a 20mph speed limit would also help to cut greenhouse gas emissions, reduce fuel use and buffer the country against the shocks of a rising and unstable oil price.

A 20mph speed limit would also reduce social exclusion. The disproportionate threat of death and injury for pedestrians and cyclists is compounded by poverty and age. Poorer neighbourhoods disproportionately bear the brunt of road danger. Child pedestrians from poorer households are five times more likely to become road casualties than their richer counterparts.
geoff

PostPosted: 16/10/07, 13:10    Post subject: Great Idea. Reply with quote

Hi Julian,

You can count on me and the pages of uplyme.com to support and publicise your campaign. In the meantime, people might be interested in reading some background info on rural traffic calming... http://www.uplyme.com/road_safety.htm

Geoff.
RichardH

PostPosted: 16/10/07, 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is obviously very topical: http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7046200.stm

The question must be, though, where the limit would apply within Uplyme. It's pretty unrealistic to hope for it to be imposed from Yawl all the way through to Lyme, let alone on roads such as Springhead Road. While any reduction at critical points would be welcome, there is always the danger that some characters will try to "make up for lost time" and speed away afterwards. I'm surprised that, to my knowledge, no serious accidents have happened on lanes such as Gore Lane, considering the speed some people go at.

Any raising of awareness of the problem must be good, though, and if a national movement to lowering of the limit does catch on, we should not miss out.

Richard
Julian

PostPosted: 17/10/07, 09:52    Post subject: 20 mph zone limits Reply with quote

Richard,
Thanks for posting that link. I think the point you make is crucial - where the zone extends to is crucial and I feel very strongly that we should aim high. Speed is a problem on Springhead road just as it is through the other lanes in the village. And where there is a problem we should push for a 20 zone there too. The stretch of road to Yawl should also be part of our campaign since, as you rightly point out, if we don't include it people may accelerate out of a 20 zone and I think everyone would agree that the this part of the road already has well documented problems.
geoff

PostPosted: 17/10/07, 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

As regards the scope of the new 20mph limit, I would suggest maybe the stretch between the two village gates might be logical. Of course, the section on the Lyme side of the Tappers Knapp village gate includes Woodroffe Bus Bay - surely a prime candidate for a 20mph limit ? Maybe a location closer to the medical centre would make sense. This does of course mean that the proposed section would then straddle a county border.

As to the Yawl stretch, it is currently, I believe correctly, set at 30MPH, but as there are few speed limit signs and no enforcement (other than an annual, mobile speed trap for an hour or so), drivers often regularly exceed this limit regardless of anyone walking, or trying to pull out of a driveway. Very late on Saturday nights and early on weekday mornings, vehicles often exceed 45/50mph.

I think it is important that enforcement is recognised as an equally important issue -be it the proposed new 20mph or existing 30mph sections- as there is no point assigning speed limits if people ignore them with impunity.

G.

Last edited by geoff on 19/10/07, 08:22; edited 1 time in total
Julian

PostPosted: 18/10/07, 09:36    Post subject: Limits of 20mph zone Reply with quote

Geoff,
I think your point about the bus bay is very important. Many local parents have children at both schools and most local parents with children at Mrs Ethelston's will eventually see them go on to Woodroffe. So it would be very good if the zone could include the Woodroffe coach/bus bay. Of course, as you say, that would require some very joined up thinking from the two authorities.....

One related point, when it comes to writing to MP's and so on, boundaries become very important. My feeling is that our campaign should welcome any local support even if the person doesn't actually live within the parish since, as suggested above, in real life the boundaries don't actually mean as much to us.
Julian

PostPosted: 18/10/07, 22:13    Post subject: Response from Hugo Swire MP Reply with quote

We have had an fairly encouraging reply from Hugo Swire MP who states that he is writing to the head of the County Environment Directorate asking him to respond to the points made in our letter. He is also asking what enforcement and calming measures the council will put in place.

Going back to Tim's post about what happens next I was looking at the Campaign for Better Transport (formerly Transport 2000) who have a series of helpful online guides. The guide for reducing local traffic speeds
http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/local_campaigning/online_guides/slowing_traffic
has some good ideas in it. One thing might be to carry out a traffic survey and log vehicle speeds at different times of the day.

Thanks Geoff for the excellent web page - www.uplyme.com/twenty.htm - packed with information- this is a very good start.
geoff

PostPosted: 08/11/07, 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julian,

What is the latest on the campaign please?
Are we going to organise a speed survey ?
Is there going to be a meeting to gauge support for the campaign ?

Geoff.
Julian

PostPosted: 04/12/07, 22:48    Post subject: Life Begins At 20 Reply with quote

In case you're thinking it's all gone a bit quiet let me bring everyone up to date and assure you that things are happening.

We still have no response to date from our Councillor, Ken George, but I am optimistic that he will be in touch soon.

I have written to Cllr. Denham, Chair of the Parish Council asking for the PC to support the campaign. No response to date.

I wrote to Hugo Swire MP and he undertook to ask the county council about the issue. He wrote to Edward Chorlton, head of the County Environment Directorate. Mr Chorlton replied to Hugo Swire and I will post the salient parts of his letter tomorrow. Predictably, Mr Chorlton finds against all the issues raised. His letter is useful however since it sets out the points over which the argument is likely to be won or lost. Once I have posted Mr Chorlton's reply do let me have any thoughts you may have and I can then draft a response.

We also contacted the Woodroffe School and the school was pleased to support the campaign.

We have also contacted BRAKE - an organisation who have been helpful to the Kilmington spped limit campaign - with a view to taking advantage of their experience in this area.

Geoff points up the idea of collecting some speed data ourselves and I am happy to undertake this with someone (any volunteers....). This is going to be essential since one of the points that Mr Chorlton makes is that, according to his July 2006 data, the mean speed of northbound vehicles at the village hall was 27.5mph while that for southbound vehicles was 24mph. Clearly that is not my experience of driving, walking and cycling through the village or I wouldn't be here now doing this. When driving I generally try to keep to 20 once I get to the mini roundabout and this usually results in a queue of rather overheated looking drivers behind me who were certainly not doing anything like 24mph when they suddenly appeared in the rear view mirror.

There is also some confusing data about accidents which suggests that accidents are either not being recorded - or are being recorded in a way that doesn't show up on DCC's radar. I will post the text tomorrow for you to look over.

Disappointingly, Hugo Swire (who has, I believe, given his backing to the Kilmington campaign) has been fairly non-committal in our case. If you have the energy to write to him and support the campaign it may help to convince him that this issue isn't going to go away and that it is an issue that matters to voters (and non-voters...).

Once again thanks to Geoff for all the website work and the excellent poster - now available for to download and display.

More developments soon.
Julian
Julian

PostPosted: 05/12/07, 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the reply (to Hugo Swire MP's letter) from Mr Edward Chorlton, head of the County Environment Directorate at Devon CC. I would appreciate any feedback or observations that you may have.

"Thank you for your letter dated 15 October 2007 together with the copy of the correspondence you have received from Dr Dickson. In the last few years Uplyme has benefited from a considerable amount of traffic calming measures. The recent development at Barnes Meadow has provided much of the work that has been carried out and it would be difficult to see where any additional measures could be introduced. It has to be recognised that Uplyme is a predominantly rural community and any further measures could be considered environmentally unacceptable.
In their letter I note that Dr Dickson and Mr. Bond have asked for a 20 mph speed limit for the village. Unfortunately this would not accord with our current policy for such a limit. 20 mph limits or zones are primarily introduced at locations where there are significant pedestrian movements such as outside large schools and shopping areas. The local primary school is situated on a side road away from the main B3165 and it is considered that vehicle speeds are already at or about 20 mph in this area and a formal limit would not really achieve any significant change. I understand that this was not an issue that was raised by the school in their School Travel Plan. As far as actual vehicle speeds are concerned, a speed check was carried out on the main road through Uplyme in July 2006. This was done on the section of the B3165 near to the Village Hall, a location requested by the Uplyme Parish Council. The mean speed for vehicles traveling northbound, that is leaving the village, was 27.5 mph and the mean speed for vehicles traveling southbound was 24.0 mph. The data from which these mean speeds were derived was collected over a two week period. I have also had the accident record checked for the main road through Uplyme and since 1 January 2004, there have been only six recorded crashes on the B3165, three slight and three damage only, the last recorded crash being on 22 August 2005.
I would not disagree with the point that it would be better to take action before an incident occurs, but our priority for attention at the present time has to be directed those locations where personal injuries are actually occurring. Until these are resolved it is unlikely that funding will be available to address the various concerns that residents such as Dr Dickson and Mr. Bond have for the community in which they live.
I regret that I am unable to reply more helpfully regarding this matter.
"

My feeling is that this doesn't resemble the actual situation and that the accident figures may be being under reported. I am also puzzled by the point Mr Chorlton makes that speeds (which he states as 24-27.5mph) "are already at or about 20 mph". I imagine that if I were stopped by a police officer for driving at 37.5mph in a 30 zone the defence that my speed was "about 30mph" might not actually work for me!

Regarding the request for one or two volunteers for a speed survey I think we are close to locating a safety camera that we can borrow.

More news soon.
Julian
Julian

PostPosted: 11/12/07, 13:32    Post subject: 20 = Plenty Reply with quote

I am pleased to be able to let you know that a 20mph limit now forms part of Mrs Ethelston's school travel plan. It is important to have our local schools working together with the campaign for this important objective.
Julian

PostPosted: 25/01/08, 22:08    Post subject: Life Begins At 20 Reply with quote

Concerned about traffic speeds in Uplyme?

20 = Plenty

A Meeting

Uplyme Village Hall

Come and discuss the issues

Monday February 11th

From 3.30 to 4.15pm

(Please can anyone help by designing a simple poster for display in the shop / garage / elsewhere with the above information on?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Road safety All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: